I don’t think I did enough to call it a renovation. I didn’t really change out what was there, I just put a new face on things. It made a big difference though.
I tackled the simple, such as swapping out the brass towel racks with an updated darker style. The old hand towel rack was on the wall to the left of the sink which meant it hung over the light switch and outlet. It was an awkward spot. I moved it to the right which made a little more sense. I also painted the walls which gives the room a dramatic change that looks like I changed out the lighting but I didn’t touch the fixtures. The old paint color was a tan that had a lot of yellow in it. It gives the whole room a sickly yellow tinge. I painted it the same icicle blue that I put in the office. It is perfect in that little space. It looks clean and MUCH brighter. Seriously, there is no difference in the lighting in those two pictures. Exact same fixture and bulbs.
The vanity got a bit of a makeover. I covered the groovy faux marble formica in concrete. It updates the overall look and was a lot of fun to try out in this small space. The bag of concrete cost about $10 so it’s a great solution until I can get a new vanity. I also painted the wood which looks LOADS better! I was a little worried about the dated curly line detail but it isn’t so bad.
The concrete held up very well with use which included the abuse of a 10-year old and a 7-year old. I just went in this morning and wiped the toothpaste off everything with a damp washcloth and it looks perfect. The sealer I put on the concrete protected the counter just fine.
I also changed out the shower curtain which is very cute, but nothing looks good against the old linoleum.
I’m just going to have to figure out something to do about that. The kitchen linoleum tested positive for asbestos so both the bathrooms are probably positive too. I suspect the sub-floor around the toilet needs to be replaced though so I’ll probably have to deal with it someday soon.
I managed a few other updates such as the dining room window. This was half-started when I painted the dining room. I pulled down the louvres and then everything stalled and I was covering the dining room window with a sheet like it was 1992 and I lived in a dorm room. Sometimes the best way to finish up something you are avoiding, is to have someone come over and help you. I didn’t really need the manpower, but I did need the push so a pal came over and kick started me on a few things. The dining room window looks infinitely better without the sheet.
She is also responsible for knocking out that 4th wall in the family room. Yay! no more paint samples on the wall.
The family room also got spiffed up with a new rug. Nothing fancy, just a shag rug in taupe but it is proportional to the room, the weight keeps it from sliding around too much and the color should hide all the grubbiness that goes on in this room.
And the last little update I squeezed in under deadline is the guest room window. I painted the trim and got a new set of blinds up to replace the old ones that the kitty had broken as she crawled through to chatter at crows. The room badly needs to be updated in general but that will be a huge project that will just have to wait its turn.
In the meantime, everything looks a little better and was put to the test this week by my nephews and other family members as they cycled through about as fast as I could strip beds, wash sheets, and put them all back together. In the middle of it all I managed to come down with something but powered through and am prepared to sleep it off the rest of this week.